What I Offer
Dietetic & Nutrition Services
Nutrition counseling guides and supports your journey toward better health and fitness. Whether it involves weight control/fitness or medical nutrition therapy, we evaluate and tailor a customized nutrition plan for each individual.
What is Nutrition Counseling?
Nutrition counseling involves evaluation of a person’s physical state with consideration to diet, lifestyle, body composition, and metabolic testing. The assessment is also based on various health needs in regard to nutrient requirements, exercise, and medical conditions. Based on this information, Gerling Dietetics & Nutrition will work with you to set achievable health goals. Meal plans and advice on various ways of maintaining these health goals throughout a lifetime are provided.
What is Medical Nutrition Therapy?
Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) is an evidence based medical method to treat certain conditions through an individually tailored nutrition plan. MNT is ordered and approved by a primary care physician and implemented solely through a Registered Dietitian.
How do I Know It’s Right for Me?
- You are struggling to lose and manage your weight
- Desire to improve your fitness level for overall health or a particular sport?
- Understand nutrition needs for your family and how to balance those needs?
- Want to maximize your nutritional status and prevent diet-related diseases like diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, and obesity
- You are confused by all the “nutrition noise” about what to eat and want clear, realistic, simple guidelines to nourish yourself
Medical Nutrition Therapy is right for you if:
- You have pre-diabetes, diabetes, or gestational diabetes
- Need nutrition clearance for bariatric surgery or guidance after surgery
- Have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or heart disease
- Suffer from gastrointestinal (GI) issues such as GERD or Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Have food allergies and/or intolerances
- Struggle with overweight and obesity, for children and adults
- Are dealing with eating disorders and selective “picky” eating habits
Nutrition Counseling Services
- Adult and Pediatric Weight Management
- Body Composition Testing (% body fat, muscle mass, water; BMI, approximate Basal Metabolic Rate)
- Comprehensive nutrition assessment
- Healthy Eating Plans for Optimal Health and Disease Prevention
- Fitness and Sports Nutrition
- Metabolic Testing (to determine your specific Calorie needs – coming soon)
- Pregnancy and Infant Nutrition
- Preventative Health and Wellness
- Weight Gain
Medical Nutrition Therapy
Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Bariatric Surgery
- Diabetes: Prediabetes, Type 1, Type 2, Gestational Diabetes
- Eating Disorders
- Food Allergies and Intolerances
- GI Disorders (Celiac Disease, Colitis, Crohns Disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
- Heart Disease, High Cholesterol, High Blood Pressure
- Kidney Disease
- Obesity: children and adults
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
What to Expect
Initial and follow up sessions for nutrition counseling and MNT may include:
- Detailed review of your habits, lifestyle and medical history
- Discussion of nutrition related blood work and laboratory reports
- Weight, height, body composition and metabolic testing (additional fee)
- Review of eating habits and food logs
- Review of medications, dietary supplements, and over the counter medications
- Development of short and long-term goals
- Nutrition and health education
- Tailored meal and menu plan
- Identifying challenges and developing solutions for success
I Help You Build Healthy Habits & Realistic Routines
Gerling Dietetics & Nutrition provides personalized nutrition counseling for health and wellness, sports nutrition, and Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) for disease prevention and management. Working together we will assess your habits and lifestyle, medical history, and personal preferences that contribute to your overall health in order to construct a simple, realistic and practical nutrition plan tailored to your needs.
The following individual packages are not covered by insurance. Please refer to the Medical Nutrition Therapy page for services covered by insurance. All packages will be tailored to your unique needs and nutrition and health goals. All fees must be paid in full at the initial visit.
Hungry for information to transform your diet and lifestyle or need a jump start to improve your nutritional status? The Hungry package includes an initial 60-minute consultation and one 30-minute follow up appointment to guide you in making simple changes to improve your general health, your energy levels, and manage your weight.
- Diet and lifestyle assessment to identify strengths/weaknesses in your current diet and lifestyle
- Measurement and interpretation of weight, body mass index, and body composition
- Short term goal development to meet your long-term nutrition/fitness/weight goals.
- Sample meal plan
One sixty-minute initial appointment and three-30 minute follow up sessions
This package is designed to provide you with the support and accountability you need to make positive changes in your lifestyle and overhaul your food choices and habits. Ideal for weight management for children and adults, sports and fitness, or general wellness.
Includes all the components listed in the Hungry package plus:
- In-depth computerized nutritional analysis
- Calculation of personal energy, macro and micronutrient needs to optimize health and fitness performance
- Development of personalized meal plan to satisfy your nutritional needs
- Meal planning support
- Counseling to review successes and guidance to overcome challenges and barriers
- Goal setting to unravel unhealthy thoughts and behaviors
Fully Nourished Package
One sixty-minute initial and 6 -30 minute follow up visits.
This package is designed to become your nutrition roadmap for weight management and health.
Includes components of the hungry and satisfied packages plus
- Healthy lifestyle challenge for you and your family
- Metabolic testing to determine energy needs* (coming soon)
Fee: $600.00 *Additional fee for metabolic testing
Please call for dates, times and fees.
2021 Group Class Offerings
Once and Done in 21!
Begin by scheduling a 15 minute individual consult to get a quick personalized assessment of your body composition, energy and nutrient needs to nourish you in the long run!
Fee: $20.00 – Call or email to schedule
Nourish Your Health, Nourish Your Wealth
Do you eat one or more meals oustide the home? American’s waste roughly $3000 per year eating out, which impacts their nutritional and financial well being. In this group class a certified financial professional will present simple financial strategies to manage your personal wealth, help you evaluate your personal nutrition budget, and learn the impact of your choices on your health and wealth. Come and invest a few hours of your time to learn simple practical tips to nourish your health and nourish your wealth!
Call or email for dates/times/price
2021 Nutrition Bootcamp
Challenge yourself to improve your nutritional status in six weeks!
- How to nourish your body in a simple, realistic, practical manner
- Healthy Eating Challenge
- The Nutrients: macros, micros, antioxidants and phytochemicals
- Energy Balance: how to tip the scale in your favor
- Nutrition tools and guidelines
- How to develop a sustainable and healthy way of eating
Fee: $150.00 – Call or email for dates
Optional fee: Body composition and Personalized Diet/Nutritional Analysis $75.00
Roadmap to Healthy Eating
“Let Food Be Your Medicine and Medicine Be Your Food.” The role of nutrition in the prevention of chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and cancer has become increasingly clear over the past few decades. This group class will discuss evidence-based eating patterns that have been scientifically proven to nourish the body and prevent chronic diseases. Come prepared to evaluate your diet and develop a roadmap to healthy eating that fits your lifestyle.
Fee: $50.00 – Call or email for dates
It’s That Simple!!
Carbs, proteins, fats, oh my! If you’re struggling to decipher the “nutrition noise” in the media and learn what is best to nourish your body, then this class is for you. This group class will help your separate fact from fiction and help guide you in developing a realistic, practical, and simple nutrition plan….without fads, pills, or false promises.
Fee: $100.00 – Call or email for dates
Food In A Flash
Crunched for time? Work, family, activities…is your busy lifestyle impacting your nutrition? Learn to make quick, nutritious meals for you and your family in a flash! This class will discuss nutrition and eating trends, nutrition and health problems associated with current food trends, and meal planning, shopping, and cooking tips/techniques to make healthy food in a flash!
Nutritious Meals on a Budget
Eating healthy doesn’t have to be expensive. This class will discuss myths and facts regarding the true costs of food and how to control your food budget while meeting the nutrient needs of you and your family. Shopping tips and tricks will be discussed. Thrifty through liberal food plans will be evaluated. Bring food ads and a calculator to crunch some food budget numbers that don’t break the bank!
Eating for Optimal Aging
Looking for the fountain of youth? As we get older, our bodies experience many changes….weight gain, poor sleep, and numerous aches and pains. It can be hard to sift through the “nutrition noise” with countless people telling you what and what not to eat and determine what is right. This eight-week class will help translate the current science about aging, nutrition, and fitness into a personal, simple, realistic plan. A certified fitness trainer will also complement this class.
- Personal assessment and how to get started on new healthy path to aging
- Age related changes in body systems
- Evaluating and selecting a healthy eating plan for your own personal needs
- Hydration and health
- Macros, micros, and supplements
- Assess your personal fitness level and dispels myths surrounding exercise as we age
- Muscle maintenance and strength
- Balance and flexibility
- Managing weight as we age